quarta-feira, 7 de maio de 2008

Who will pay the gas?


Your host family is not obligated to pay gas for your personal use, but it’s really nice when they do. The only situation that they must pay gas is to go to school. Gas is really expensive in USA and some cars, specially the big ones, are not economic. So, ask them as soon as you can:

1) If I use your car, should I pay the gas?

2) Do you know the host family should pay the gas when I go to school?

3) If we are going to share the car, what we are going to do about the gas? Who is going to fill the tank?

Case 1: When I was in Clearwater (city in satate of Florida) living with my first host family, I used to share the car with them. Once I started doing a English course in an university far away from my house. My host mother complained about the money she was spending to fill the tank. At least 2 times I took the car with no gas to go to school and I needed to spend my own money. Unhappy with this situation, I talked to my coordinator to fix the problem.

Case 2: When I was in Charlotte (the biggest city in North Carolina), I had my "own" car, but I used it to drive the children to school and to other activities like swimming meetings. So, my host mother and I made a deal: every other week I was supposed to fill the tank. It’s kind of fair.

My advice is: make a dial before start driving your host family's car and be flexible.

Nenhum comentário: